Broombusters’ Slogan is: Cut Broom in Bloom!
And that is what we do.
Broombusters is a grassroots organization which was started in 2006 in response to community’s growing concern about the spread of the aggressive invasive species, Scotch broom, on Vancouver Island and lower BC mainland. We are a totally volunteer group, going out in late spring to cut down Scotch broom plants and small infestation; clearing our own and neighbors properties; clearing roads, walkways and parks. We only work at this task while broom is in bloom. Broombusters depends on volunteer participation. Volunteers found out it is fun – so our numbers keep growing. Join us!
Broombusters’ mission is to educate and empower communities to contain the spread of Scotch Broom. It serves as a liaison, linking municipalities, districts, media, ministries with concerned members of the community. Broombusters’ strategy of education, inspiration, organization, media involvement and volunteer support culminates in intense 6 week period when residents go out and cut broom in their community. It works!
Broombusters purpose is to:
- Limit the spread of Scotch broom; prevent new infestations.
- Enable, connect, and empower people to take on the task of controlling Scotch broom.
- Inspire and offer opportunities for community involvement and environmental stewardship
- Serve as a liaison between government, media, communities and individuals
- Provide information, publicity, a website, tools and support to help communities be successful.
- Protect the native plant species and animals of British Columbia; to protect and reclaim pastures, meadows and forest lands.
How Does Broombusters Work?
When cut down in bloom, Scotch broom plants usually die, and the flowers are prevented from going to seed. For 4-6 weeks each year, usually late April-May, while Scotch broom is in bloom, Broombuster volunteers go into chosen roads, parks and fields with loppers in hand, to cut down broom.
Broombusters helps in many ways, that may include education resources, supplying tools, helping with publicity, organization for community cuts, providing promo materials, website listings, demonstrations. coordinating with local governments, and providing an information resource to inspire your community.
Broombusters does not pull broom or dig into the soil as that exposes bare soil, causing the long living seeds from past years to sprout. Fortunately, Scotch Broom is a soft woody weed, and not difficult to cut. So we Cut the Bloomin’Broom!
Broom is a fire hazard, before and after it is cut. So plans need to be made for cut broom removal BEFORE you cut.* Contact Broombusters or your local government for information.
* Disclaimer: Pick up of Broom MUST be prearranged. MoT will not come to chip up broom you cut. BroomBusters may be able to help if you contact us in advance. Broombusters posts this page free of charge to your community but is not responsible for any activities listed or not listed in these communities. Cut at your own risk. Thank you. And have fun! We look forward to hearing from you.