Community Broom Cuts In Review
To view cuts of previous years:
2011 2010 2009 2008
Reminder: Any cuts on public roads require that you sign an
The forms are available at public cuts or download here.
In 2010, Broombuster volunteers organized and participated in
• over 30 community broom cuts in 8 municipalities and districts between Courtenay and Nanaimo in mid-Vancouver Island.. (Qualicum Beach, Parksville, French Creek, Coombs, Errington, Bowser, Courtenay, Nanaimo.)
• broom cuts within regional and municipal parks, notably Nanaimo Parkway Trails, Englishman River Regional Park for the Regional District of Nanaimo Earth Day Event and Englishman River Estuary with Arrowsmith Naturalists.
• numerous independent broom cuts, including several in parks in Nanaimo (Seabolt Way, Linley Valley, the Northfield & Hwy 19 camus fields).
• broom cuts by students, notably Oceanside Middle School and Kwalicaum Secondary School.
• broom cuts to assist private landowners.
• Broombusters also loaned tools to landowners who were educated and inspired by Broombusters, and wanted to clear their own land.
Broom Cuts -May 25-June 1, 2010
Parksville - Sat June 5. 9:30-11:30. Parksville Train Station
on Alberni Hwy and the Interchange (Exit 51) (Hwy 4 &
• Qualicum Beach - Sun June 6. 10-12:00 Garden
Rd near the Dog Park. Rupert E. to Hollywood Road;
turn right on Garden Rd.
• Errington. Sat, 1:00-3:00 Errington Store
area. Grafton Ave, between Errington Road and Lefler
• Nanaimo. Sunday. 1-3:00 Nanaimo Parkway Trail
between Mostar and Dunster.
From Hwy 19, turn onto Mostar. Turn left on Boban Drive, go
past businesses; when Boban turns sharply to the right, you
go straight into the parking area to access the Trail (between
McCallum Ministorage and Ambulance Service.)
• Courtenay. Sunday June
6 1:00- 3:00. Corner of 5th and Menzies on the old
railroad lot next to ENG.
anytime areas: If you have signed the waiver form,
and been instructed in cutting broom in public places, you
can cut broom in these places on your own free time. Other
places are possible. Email joanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bowser – Horne Lake Road.
• Coombs - Station Rd and Grafton.
At intersection of 4 and 4A. Anywhere along Grafton or Alberni
Hwy or Errington Road.
• Qualicum Beach - Old land fill, and Village
Way (anywhere else you see broom???)
• Parksville - Estuary at the base of Corfield. Acres
of broom! Have fun. Along the highways near the Visitor Centers.
• Nanaimo - Park in Northfield Parking Lot for
Nanaimo Parkway Trail (at Northfield & Hwy 19). You
can cut anywhere that you see broom in that area, and along
you would like to cut Scotch broom in your area,please let
We schedule cuts totally in response to community request.
CUTS for 2010 - Below
Thank you volunteers!
Broom Cuts -May 25-June 1, 2010
Beach - Sun May 30. 10:00-11:30. Village Way near
Qualicum Road (on the town side). There is a safe
area for children. Followed by the Family Day Parade
in Qualicum Beach! Come cut broom and then come to
the Parade. www.qbfamilyday.com
Parksville - Sat May 29. Probably
10-12:00. Interchange #51. Alberni Hwy & Hwy 19.
Park at the Train station and we'll work in several
directions, depending on volunteers. Something for
everyone! check time again before coming.
Nanaimo. Sunday, May
30, 1:00 - Back to the Nanaimo Parkway Trail, in the
Jinglepot & E Wellington Road area, where we cut
on May 15. Some people will be cutting south of the
• Courtenay – Sat May 29. 10:00- 12:00.
North Island College at Ryan Road. Ryan Road near
Lerwick Rd. Meet at West Parking Lot (near Ryan Road).
• North of Courtenay
– Sat May 29, 1:00-3:00. Corcan & Meadwood
Area. The CMRA is having a broom cut. Meet at the
Meadowood store and bring a cutting tool, sturdy shoes
& gloves. Tools provided.
from Qualicum Beach 5 to 8 min out of town taking
the old island Highway 19A you get to the double lanes,
turn left on to Baylis, then turn left on
Dorman and right on Corcan rd, go 5 minutes down the
road under the freeway till you get to Meadowood rd
turn right and go up the hill the meadowood store,
at the top of the hill.
• Bowser – Horne Lake Road. Although we
are not scheduling a group cut there, if you want
to keep cutting, go for it! It is now a cut anytime
road. Great work last weekend.
• Errington. Grafton Ave between Leffler and
Errington Road. We still need help there! We got rained
out last week. If you can help there, email Joanne.
Broom Cuts -May19-24, 2010
Parksville Englishman River Estuary MVIHES –
Wed May 19 – 10:00.
WEST side of the Englishman River Estuary –Meet
at Surfisde RV park (foot of Corfield in Parksville
• Wednesday, May 19 - 6:00 Middlegate Road in
Errington. The 2nd cut. We can finish the road! If
it is raining hard, we will reschedule. Check website
or call Denise.
Nanaimo. Sat May 22. 1:00-3:00. Nanaimo Parkway Trail.
Park at Northfield & Hwy 19. We can cut broom
in fields, on the trail, in a park area. Nanaimo is
very supportive! We hope for a big turnout.
Qualicum Beach Interchange Exit 60. Sun May 23. 10:00-12:00.
Intersection of Hwy 19 and Hwy 4. (All sides of the
overpass). There are acres of broom there!
• Errington. Grafton Ave - Sun May 23. 2:00-4:00.
Grafton Ave between Leffler and Errington Road.
• Bowser – Horne Lake Road. Sun May 23.
1:30-3:30. Oceanside of Hwy 19.
• Courtenay – Mon May 24. 9:00- 11:00.
Corner of 5th and Menzies on the old railroad lot
next to ENG.
Coombs– Station Road near Alberni Hwy. Mon May
24. 11:00-12:30. We cut along one fence, and before
we left the neighbors had taken over the project!
Thank you Station Rd residents.
Broom Cuts -May15-21, 2010
Sat, May 15 - 10:00-12:30
Bowser. Horne Lake Road (ocean side)
at Hwy 19.
Sat, May 15 - 10:00-12:30
Courtenay. At Mark Isfeld School
along Lerwick Road. Great turnout!
Sunday, May 16 - 10-12:00
Nanaimo. Parkway Trail between E.
Wellington Rd and Jingle Pot Rd. Great turnout!
Qualicum Beach Exit 60. Interchange
of Hwy 19 & Hwy 4.
We'll cut around the Interchange and along Memorial
at The Old Landfill. The top of Qualicum Road, off
Rupert Road. 3:00-5:00
Broom Cuts -May 4-9, 2010
• Errington -
Tuesday May 4 - Middlegate Road (Great turn
out. Hundreds of feet were cleared!)
• Parksville - Wednesday May 5 - Near Visitors
Center. (Look for us in all directions.)
• Parksville – Saturday May 8 –
9:00. The Englishman River estuary flats
at the end of Shelley Road. Sponsored by the Pioneer
Crescent Residents Association. (250 248-2233) Park
at the end of Shelley Road, and look for signs in
the park. Tools are provided.
French Creek / Qualicum Beach - Saturday, May 8 -12:30-2:30.
Across from Central Builders and towards the French
• Coombs Downtown - Sunday, May 9 -
Across from General Store. There has been so much
improvement in Coombs since we started cutting 3 years
ago. But we really need help! Also, cut anytime on
Station, Price, Grafton, Alberni. Sign form first.
• Nanaimo - Sunday, May 9 - 1:00-3:00.
Take Island Hwy (Hwy 19) to Northfield.
Park on the mountain side of the intersection, and
we'll work on the city side. It's a beautiful open
space that needs more love. Join us!
Broom Cuts -May1-2, 2010
Errington – Saturday May 1, from 10–11:00
on Errington Road (near
Alberni Hwy) across from corn farm and Alberni Hwy.
From 11-1:00, look for our green cart at the opening
day of Errington Market!
• Qualicum Beach – Sunday May
2, from 12:30-2:30. Starting at Rupert Rd
& Qualicum Road, cutting on the old landfill and
walking up the road towards Pheasant Glen Golf Course
(look for signs). This cut is to “support the
supporters” of the salmon walk. (www.salmonaresacred.org)
Pheasant Glen Golf Course is offering a luncheon by
donation; proceeds go to Pacific Wild Salmon Society.
After you cut broom, go eat lunch!
• Errington - Allbrook Road –
Sunday May 2, from 12:30-2:30. We’ll
gather and start at the clearcut (Big broom!) Get
a tool and sign the Adopt-a-Hwy form. Then you can
cut anywhere on Allbrook.
• Nanaimo to Courtenay – Cuts
are planned from Nanaimo to Courtenay! Check back
on Thursday or email. email@example.com. Join
Broom Cuts - April 2010
- 1:00-3:00 Exit 60. Qualicum Beach Interchange -
Hwy 19 and Hwy 4. Look for us on
Memorial Ave, just off the exit ramps, going towards
First Community Cut of the Season:
Regional District of Nanaimo Earth Day Event
Englishman River Regional Park
Sunday, April 18th from 11am-3pm
Thank you to the great turn out - especially the large
number of volunteers under the age of 10!