Oceanside - Arrowsmith Area
The Final Cut of the Season for Oceanside at Coombs Country Junction
Sunday, June 19 10-12:00
At the intersection of Alberni Hwy and Hwy 4 (Hwy 4 & 4A)
Our goal for the year was to cut broom all the way from Qualicum Beach oceanfront to Coombs Country Junction at the intersection of Hwy 4 and Hwy 4A. We are almost there! We may be on any of the hills of the intersection, including Alberni Hwy and even Winchester Rd (where Butterfly World is.) From Qualicum Beach, drive on Memorial under the Hwy 19 underpass and keep going for about 3-4 miles, until you come to the light / turn off onto Alberni Hwy towards Coombs and Parksville. Look for cars and yellow vests.
• Qualicum Beach – Sunday, June 12 – 10-12:00. At the Qualicum Beach Interchange, where Memorial goes under Hwy 19. We worked there last week, but only finished one side of the road. There is still HUGE broom up on the hill of the interchange. If you have never cut BIG broom, treat yourself. We have tools.
• French Creek. We don’t know the date and time yet. Let me know if you want to help finish the Hwy 19A area across from Central Builders Home Hardware.
• Parksville, Errington, Hilliers, Bowser, Coombs and beyond – There are volunteer cutting on several roads, and they would love help. Can you offer a couple hours? Email Joanne. There are so many places. YOU can make a difference.• Qualicum Beach – Sunday, June 5 – 10-12:00. At the Qualicum Beach Interchange, where Memorial goes under Hwy 19. There is lots of small broom that is visible, and HUGE broom up on the hill. Plenty for everyone.
• French Creek – Saturday, May 28, 1-3:00
Old Island Hwy – Across from Central Builders, French Creek. We started there last year, and would love to finish.
• Qualicum Beach – Sunday, May 29 – Family Day. We’ll be cutting broom in the park. Come find out table if you have questions about broombusting.
.• Qualicum Beach - Mant & Fern Road.
Wed May 25 9-11:00
• May 23 - Monday, Victoria Day. Hamilton Marsh. 10-1:00.
One kilometer west of the Qualicum Beach Exit from Hwy 19 - on Hilliers Road South.
• Parksville - Friday - May 20. 9:00 - 12:00 West side of the estuary; Enter the Community Beach in Parksville, but go straight - park at Surfside. A cooperative effort of MVIHES, Qualicum Beach Streamkeepers, Mount Arrowsmith Biosphere Reserve and Broombusters.
• Northfield at the Parkway Trail - June 11 – Saturday, 9:30-11:30. Northfield & Hwy 19. The Parkway Trail Challenge – “Broom free on the Parkway Trail” from Northfield to East Wellington to Jinglepot Road. Park at the Northfield Parking lot (Northfield Road & Hwy 19.)
One week we cut around the parking lot; last week we cut towards Westwood Lake. This Saturday we will continue in one direction or the other. Look for us both ways. Tell your friends! We need you. It’s lots of fun. We have tools.
•• The Park Trail Challenge – Connect the Parkway Trail from Northfield to East Wellington to Jinglepot Road. June 4 – Saturday, 10-12:00.
Since the spring of 2010, volunteers have been working on the Nanaimo Parkway Trail in two places. Now we want to connect them – and we need your help! Park in the Nanaimo Park Trail parking lot, and look for us. We’ll be walking South towards Victoria. For those who prefer to work at the Northfield interchange, there are still beautiful fields of camus flowers to rescue on the city side of the intersection. Bring your friends!
• Northfield Rd at Hwy 19. May 28 – Saturday, 9:30-11:30. Park in the Nanaimo Park Trail parking lot, and look for broombusters. A field of beautiful native Camus flowers needs rescuing, and there is Park Trail on either side. Bring your friends!
• Westwood Rd and East Wellington Road – Sun 2 – 4:00
Meet at the parking lot where we cut last year, and then we’ll cut along the Park Trail towards Northfield. Contact July for details. email@example.com
• Bowen Park - Sunday May 29 10-12:00
Meet at Complex in upper level. Register if you have time with
Courtenay / Comox Valley
• Saturday June 11 10:30am BroomBusters is joining the Comox Valley Land Trust and the Friends of Masters Greenway for a blitz to remove invasive plant species along the Greenway. Please bring gloves and drinking water and dress for the weather. Master’s Greenway is located at 62 Powerhouse Road. Travel to Lake Trail Road and follow the signs to Puntledge Hatchery. Master’s Greenway is just before you get to the Hatchery turn off.
• Sunday 10 am - noon Join us to cut broom along the trail that parallels 29th Street. Drive along Piercy Ave from 26th Street and park along Piercy or Galloway Cres. The paved trail begins at the end of Piercy Ave. Walk along the trail and you'll find us! Look for the BroomBusters signs. This area has been suggested for us by the City of Courtenay parks department. We cleared some of the broom last weekend and hope to get a lot more cut this Sunday.
• Little River Regional Park: Saturday June 4 10-noon.
Join us at Little River Regional Park to cut broom.
To get to the park, drive towards the ferry dock. Just before the ferry, turn right onto Wilkinson Road. The park is a short distance, just past the new Harwood Estates subdivision. Look for the BroomBusters signs on the left.
• May 29th 1-4 pm. We'll be cutting along the trail that parallels 29th Street. Drive along Piercy Ave from 26th Street and park along Piercy or Galloway Cres. The paved trail begins at the end of Piercy Ave.
• Monday May 23rd 10 am - noon
Broom cutting at Menzies and 5th. Last year we worked on the field behind the ENG building and we'd like to finish.
• Saturday May 21st 10-noon. 40 people showed up!
We are working in partnership with the Courtenay Rotary Club as they clear area for their Trail along the Rails. Meet at the corner of Menzies and 8th .